FRIDAY FILOSOPHY v.11.12.2021
Vincent Willem van Gogh March 1853 – 29 July 1890) was a Dutch Post-Impressionist painter who posthumously became one of the most famous and influential figures in Western art history. In a decade, he created about 2,100 artworks, including around 860 oil paintings, most of which date from the last two years of his life. They include landscapes, still life’s, portraits and self-portraits, and are characterized by bold colors and dramatic, impulsive and expressive brushwork that contributed to the foundations of modern art. Not commercially successful, he struggled with severe depression and poverty, eventually leading to his suicide at age thirty-seven.
- Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.
- Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.
- Health is the greatest gift, contentment the greatest wealth, faithfulness the best relationship.
- The mind is everything. What you think you become.
- No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.
- To keep the body in good health is a duty… otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear.
- It is better to travel well than to arrive.
- You will not be punished for your anger; you will be punished by your anger.
- There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way, and not starting.
- Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.
- To enjoy good health, to bring true happiness to one’s family, to bring peace to all, one must first discipline and control one’s own mind. If a man can control his mind he can find the way to Enlightenment, and all wisdom and virtue will naturally come to him.
- Whatever words we utter should be chosen with care for people will hear them and be influenced by them for good or ill.
- It is a man’s own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
- Just as a candle cannot burn without fire, men cannot live without a spiritual life.
- However, many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them?
- To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.
- In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.
- I do not believe in a fate that falls on men however they act; but I do believe in a fate that falls on them unless they act.
The Time is Now.